The Homepage of xtem_TeXMenu Version 7
Authors: Günther Lamprecht, Wolfhardt Lotz, Roland Weibezahn
xtem provides for a simple and comfortable graphical user interface (GUI)
to control the following TeX/LaTeX facilities:
The following descriptions (select by choice) give you more detailed information:
xtem is written for Unix platforms and has been tested on many systems.
Tcl, the appropriate Tk
This version runs with Tcl/Tk/TclX
(Tcl8.2, Tcl8.1, Tcl8.0 and Tcl7.6).
- file and directory selection, directory creation
- editor (vi, emacs, ...) including additional windows for the
LaTeX-syntax (using hypertext) and examples
- TeX, LaTeX, ...
- previewer (ghostview, xdvi, TkDvi, ...)
- printing (including comfortable printer selection, ...)
- syntax and spelling check
- additional programs as required
- Online help is available for all the buttons and windows by simple mouse click.
- English or German language by choice, other languages may easily be adapted
more versions of xtem_TeXMenu
running with other versions of Tcl/Tk/TclX
The configuration has to be done by the local TeX-Administrator
by adapting configuration files ("open lists").
xtem is not a TeX system, i.e. you need an additional TeX-package for Unix such as
or another TeX-package, e.g. from
Besides adapting xtem to new Tcl versions we have done error corrections
and added new features:
The setting files from older versions of xtem are mostly compatible
(mkcommand.vst will be automatically updated),
thus switching from the older version (xtem v.6) to the new release will be done easily.
The file xtem_texmenu.n.nn.tar.gz
includes all the xtem material necessary for installation, you can get it
from the CTAN servers (in directory /pub/tex/support/xtem_texmenu you will always find
the current distribution, i.e. neither beta test versions nor older versions),
or directly from us under the terms of the
GNU General Public License (GPL):
If you want to subscribe announcements of further versions, send an e-mail to:
with (in body):
- the installation procedure was splitted into two parts: the basic
installation (running in batch), and the setting file modification
- mkcommand.vst normally will be adapted to new Tcl version automatically,
- the main file list in the file selection menu can be reduced
to display only TeX files having a \documentclass
or \documentstyle command,
- hyphenations can be removed from the displayed list by mouse click,
removed hyphenations will not be added to the list of already
- the list of checked hyphenations can be sortetd alphabetically,
- logfile-analyze is followed by makeindex-analyze now,
- printers in the printer selection menu can now be sorted alphabetically
(see new variable prtlistsort in setting file install.vst),
- URL links in LaTeX syntax help to the local teTeX TeX/LaTeX documentation
(if avalilable) and to TUG-TeX-FAQ's,
- TeX-autostart (at the moment when edit file or main file is
modified) is available as new option (new variables: texautostrt
and texautostrtv in file install.vst).
subscribe xtem announcing your-mail-ddress your-name
Bug reports and suggestions are also welcome at the same address.
If you like (or don't like) this program, *please* drop me a line.
I would like to hear how the program works (or doesn't work) for you.
I won't know what new features to add if I don't get any feedback. Thanks!
There is also a list to discuss suggestions concerning the development of xtem;
you can subscribe this list by sending an e-mail to:
with (in body):
Happy and comfortable TeXing.
- Dr. Roland Weibezahn
- Universität Bremen, IWD
- Postfach 330 440, D 28334 Bremen, Germany
- Phone: +49 - 421 - 218 - 3532